Yoga + Self Healing
with Nicole Lynne Hooley
with Nicole Lynne Hooley
Happy Summer Solstice!
Now Get Out of Your Own Way!
Summer is the season of Bliss! It is the time of year, at least in the northeast, where suddenly we all get a little bit of clarity that our lives are for living. We can see a little more clearly that certain things can wait, and we needn't stress too much about making others happy as if it is meant to be it will all come together perfectly in time.
However, sometimes we aren't quite dialed into the Bliss realm when summer hits. That's why it's so powerful to set intentions and make the shifts necessary to live a life that honors your most vital needs to grow, learn, enjoy, create, find balance & truly thrive!
How can we thrive if we are stuck in our old stories, our past, our limitations? We can't. In order to thrive you need to actively remind yourself that you are in a constant state of becoming. That you are free in this moment. That your negative self defeating thoughts are a misuse of your powerful and beautiful mind. That you are alive! That your sadness, difficulties, obstacles, anger, hopelessness & pain is valid, but not who you are. You are more than your job title, your artistic expression, your relationships... you are more than your physical body, your mood, your temperament, your personality... you are pure consciousness manifested in an intelligent and beautiful body. So be that. Let your goals be to grow, to learn & to thrive... and the bliss will come!
10 Blissful Tips for Summer
1. Feel your nasty feelings. Be honest with them, breathe into them, ask them where they are coming from, ask if they are intended to protect you in someway, notice that you are safe without them and then give yourself permission to let them go.
2. Do something about yourself judgements. Every Time you feel down about yourself do something about it ASAP! Feeling like your body isn't looking its best? MOVE IT RIGHT NOW! Feeling like you're not getting enough creative expression in? SIT DOWN FOR 20 MINUTES (Take a break if at work) and write, draw, sing, or tap a beat on your damn pant leg but channel it! Not feeling spiritual enough? Meditate for a few minutes. NO EXCUSES! We waste way too much of our time in our thoughts, take action instead and then at least you know you are doing your best in the moment you are in.
3. Eat Seasonal Local Fruits & Veggies! This will help your body & mind thrive with the season!
4. Be honest! When someone says or does something that bums you out or offends you nip it in the butt asap. Do not fester grievances, it's bad for your health and they are often misunderstandings that can easily be hashed out with a momentarily awkward conversation. Example: Q: "Hey, are you making fun of me?" A: "Yes, but it's out of love!" Result: Hugs & Laughter, everyone wins.
5. Go Outside & Play! Schedule yourself time EVERY SINGLE WEEK this summer to spend time outside with the only intention being to enjoy yourself. It will make the time you have to work go by more quickly and it will ensure that you get the most out of the season. Sidenote: This doesn't always mean going to parties, parties can sometimes feel like work (especially to introverts) so be mindful as to what you actually want and that doesn't necessarily rely on others to strongly. Examples: Spend the day in the park, go to the beach, see an outdoor concert, go to the pool, bbq with friends (not frienemies, stress, even the low level kind, is not fun).
6. Sunbathe! Now don't over do it, and if you have really light skin, use an umbrella and extra potent sunblock, but sun is so good for you and heightens your mood. If you can't get out of the office to go to the beach just take a 15 minute break and find your nearest our door bench or patch of grass and lean back and let the sun (with your eyes closed of course) shine on your face. This is so great for your heart chakra and overall happiness!
7. Moonbathe! Check your calendars and try and spend some time outside at night during the days closer to the Full Moon. If you can be in a place with a little less artificial light it will be more powerful, however, make the best of what you can. This will help bring more pleasure and creativity into your life. Explore it on your own. You can lay down under the stars, dance with friends or lovers or just hang out with the awareness that there is a moon up there... that your life is precious and the universe is vast. Feel your place in it all!
8. Try & Do New Things! Take a class, try a new kind of food, read about a new subject, visit a different part of town (make sure it's safe). Expand your awareness. Make sure you constantly remind yourself that there is more going on in this life than your everyday bubble. Freedom awaits.
9. Drink Water! Drink clean purified water as often as you are thirsty (FOR ANYTHING). Thinking about another cup of coffee? Have a glass of water first. About to tell off your partner? Sip some water first. About to have another cigarette? Have a little water first. Need to leave for work? Drink some water. Thinking about another glass of wine? Drink some damn water. While you're at it, think about how blessed you are for having access to clean drinking water, have a moment of gratitude and sip it down. You will be hydrated, clear and more balanced... and you might even feel the thirst for other things I mentioned subside a bit.
10. Be Love! When in doubt, remind yourself that you are a being capable of giving and receiving love. Whatever comes up, ask yourself how your heart feels about the situation and act from a place of love for yourself and others. Try your best to tap into your heart as often as possible. In the summer we are more flexible, so stretching is a great option for this tapping in. You can also tap into your heart by exercising and getting your heart rate up or sitting in meditation and just focusing your mind at the center of your chest as you breath.
Okay, so there it is! Bliss is available to you, you just need to welcome it in. Once it enters, you will still occasionally fall into other states of course, that's the fun of being human. However, once you realize that there are more options available for you, the vastness of your freedom becomes more apparent and you will be less tempted to latch onto ways of thinking and being that no longer serve your goal of happiness!
I love you!
Yoga & Reiki Guide
Brooklyn based Yoga & Reiki Teacher, Cole Hooley, specializes in Personal Empowerment & Self Healing inspired Yoga Classes, Workshops, Retreats & Reiki Trainings. Her Reiki & Intuitive Healing sessions have been called "an hour of unconditional love". Nicole has been highlighted by Huffington Post and YogaCityNYC.
Easy Moon Salutations & Good Mood Yoga: